Wednesday, August 20, 2008

So close, yet so far.

I'm on my own this week at work. Well, I suppose that's a bit of an exaggeration. There are plenty of people in the office to help with the writing and proofing and such, but I'm on my own in the realm of layout. My boss took the week off, and since he and I cover layout on our own, that leaves just little ol' me.

Yesterday was a breeze. I finished the paper around, say, 3 p.m. or so and got a good bit of today's issue finished before leaving at 5 p.m. I came back at 8 p.m. and worked for three hours. That left considerably less to do today, and for once my overtime paid off because I actually finished the paper early! At 3:40 p.m. Way ahead of schedule.

Or so I thought.

Why, you may ask, am I still sitting in my office at 4:20 p.m. writing a blog post? Why am I not, for instance, at home, eating chocolate, playing with Piper and reading Harry Potter?

See, there's this full page ad to go in B section. It's coming directly from a client, camera-ready. Problem is, it's not here yet. Theoretically, it should have been here this morning, since that's when B finishes up. The guy needed till 4 p.m. - no big, we just let the printer know that this morning. At 3:50 p.m., our ad rep called and he said it wasn't finished, but certainly he'd have it by 5 p.m.

Sure. We'll just see about that.

Now, you might be asking why I'm not doing work in preparation for the paper that deadlines on Friday. I should be, I know. However, when I've already worked about five extra hours this week - and it's only Wednesday - my brain needs a little break. So here I am, waiting. Of course, this brain break would be a lot nicer with chocolate. And Harry Potter.

1 comment:

The Angry Reporter said...

You did really great this week. The paper was out on time. Thanks for your hard work. You're a great editor.